AirfoilLabs Updates C172 NG for X-Plane 12
October 19, 2022
AirfoilLabs has recently updated their C172NG for X-Plane 12, ensuring it benefits from the new additions to the platform, such as the rain effects. Featuring an accurate flight model, built with real-life flight data and recordings in mind, meaning the aircraft accurately represents effects such as crosswind, air pressures and stalls, along with a complete rebuild of the 3D model.
The Cessna 172 is one of the most iconic aircraft in all of aviation, being one of the first airplanes many pilots will fly. It has developed a strong pedigree through the years, adopting various routes of upgradeability and future-proofing. The aircraft has several use cases, with training being one of its most important roles. The 172's 2400rpm, 175hp piston engine allows the aircraft to maintain a speed of 125 knots and a maximum altitude of 13,000 feet.
The AFL Cessna 172NG is equipped with Garmin G1000 Avionics, advanced maintenance and failures system and even the ability to encounter a birdstrike. The feature list follows down below:
New X-Plane 12 Features
- Reworked Internal 3d model and textures
- Brand new X-Plane 12 flight model
- Internal Camera Enhancements (G-Forces) - Immersive camera effects out of the box
- Complex External Camera Enhancements
- Toe Brakes Smoothing Option for a better experience
- Full VR compatibility
- No bezels Garmin Displays commands for cockpit builders (RealSimGear, etc.)
- XJet now works also on Apple Silicon PCs (Arm)
- X-Plane 12 Rain Effects
- 3D Model based on real aircraft and rebuilt from the ground up
- Exquisite PBR Texturing
- Lycoming IO-360-L2A with all engine parts
- Engine Heater, GPU, Refueling details, Fuel Sampling, Oil Management
- Covers, Chocks, Tiedowns
- Interior with many animations, vibrations, zero-G floating objects, baggage, and more
- Damaged Aircraft Parts
- Many detailed passengers and pilots
- Rain, Fogging, Icing, Broken Windshield
- Custom Particles Effects
- 48 Liveries
- Countless additional details, features, and animation
- HDR Lighting System
- More than 320 sounds + detailed, layered engine samples with audible failures simulation
- Many real aircraft recording sessions
- All animations, movements, and situations produce sounds
- Weather effects outside and inside of the aircraft
- Based on real aircraft flight recordings
- Performance tuned and correlated with performance tables
- Behaviour details consulted with Pilots and Flight Instructors
- Additional custom behaviour: Stall and Spin, Soft Field Takeoff, Crosswind Ground Operations
- Lift, Drag, Moment Forces Airfoils Data customized by internal plugin-based tweaker
- Detailed Damage Simulation as Bending of the wings, Overspeed Flutter, Flaps damage, etc.
- Wing Tail and Fuselage ground strike simulation.
- Flight Model is influenced by - Vortex Generators, Flap Gap Seals, Bush Wheels, Fairings, Broken Windshield, etc.
- Custom Fuel System Simulation, including fuel flow and individual components logic and failures
- Landing Gear plugin-based tuning of forces, including Side Moments, Skidding, and more
- Detailed Landing Gear Damage - Bending Struts, Tire Wear, Flat Tire, Brakes, etc.
- Flight Controls Damage simulation
- Plugin Based Custom Electrical System designed according to real C172 Electrical Scheme
- Simulating All Circuit Breakers, Electrical Components Failures, Short Circuits
- Custom Busses, Fuses, Corrected Voltages, Amps, Batteries, behaviours, etc.
- Electrical Scheme 2D Panel with live states
- Plugin Based Custom Engine Components Simulation and Wear
- Per Cylinder Simulation of Temperatures, Wear, and Failures
- Custom Oil Temperature, Pressure Simulation
- Custom Per Cylinder EGT simulation
- 2 Magnetos and 8 Individual Spark Plugs Simulations
- Spark Plugs Fouling Simulation
- Additional Engine Components Wear and Failure Simulation (Air Intake, Fuel Pump, Exhaust, Fuel/Air Control Unit, Fuel Flow Transducer, Oil Filter, etc.)
Failure Management System and Scenarios Saving
- Custom Plugin-Based Failure Management System
- 175 Individual Components Simulated
- Each Aircraft Component has a Wear property with custom Logic
- Components Wear and Failures influence each other
- Components State Saving Option
- Failed at Altitude ASL/AGL Option
- Possibility to Save Failure Sets as Individual Scenarios with thumbnail and description
- 30 Scenarios Provided
The AirfoilLabs Cessna 172 NG is available on the X-Plane Store for £49.95.
Stay tuned to Threshold for more flight simulation news!
Threshold encourages informed discussion and debate - though this can only happen if all commenters remain civil when voicing their opinions.