xVision v2 ‘Vulkan Edition’ Released
January 12, 2021
With the release of Vulkan rendering in X-Plane back in September 2020, most of X-Plane’s shader base saw a complete overhaul, leading to problems with software like xVision being rendered incompatible.
This is because xVision’s primary function is modifying said shaders to allow users to adjust the simulator to their liking.
With this new release from the developer xVision is once again compatible with X-Plane’s latest version – in both OpenGL and Vulkan rendering modes. Although the main component of the ‘Vulkan Edition’, compatibility with the new rendering API is not the only change seen in version 2, with a list of 18 total changes provided as well.
- xVision 2.00 now supports shader tweaks for both target backend of X-Plane 11: Vulkan and OpenGL.
- Now each solution may be used with or without FlyWithLua plugin. If plugin is not installed, Lua scripts in preset just ignored.
- Stock solutions have been redesigned.
- New solution "Winter" have been added to distribution pack.
- Custom tweaks are not possible now due to techical limitations.
- Tweaks "Sunlight adjustments" and "FXAA tuning" are excluded from shader tweaks.
- Tweak "Khaki correction" has been transformed to tweak "Vegetation shades". Now it has old "Khaki" filter and a couple new parameters. If you are using Ortho "bluish"-shaded textures, "Bluish correction" parameter of the filter will help to restore the natural shade in such areas.
- A new tweak "Seasonaliser" in "TERRAIN" group. A cheap/fast imitation of the snow seasons by using special terrain coloring filters.
- Tweak "Fog & scattering (ATMOSPHERE)" have been redesigned. "Effect power" parameter now is applied taking into account the weather conditions. Actually "skyc/raleigh_scattering_clean", "skyc/raleigh_scattering_ocast", etc. datarefs are multipliers with "Effect power".
- Expressions as a tweak parameters are deprecated due to technical limitations. You will get a error message.
- "Day opacity coefficient" and "Night opacity coefficient" parameters in tweak "Raindrops rendering" now work only for Vulkan target backend.
- While restoring Lua scripts from backup you will get warning about clean-up existing scripts.
- When preset is applying the detailed information about existing Lua scripts deactivation is writing to Program log.
- Sim shaders cache now clean after restoring shaders from backup.
- You can copy program log to clipboard by using one button.
- Minor changes in UI.
- Bug fixes in multithreading.
- New chapters on site: tweaks descriptions and User Manual for xVision version 2.00. Old User Manual and descriptions are marked as "legacy" and used by legacy versions of xVision (1.02-1.50)
As with previous versions of xVision, the developer also provided a warning about the product, saying “keep in mind that one significant part of xVision (shader tweaks) based on undocumented and unsupported X-Plane interface. Shaders are "bleeding edge" technology and may be changed by developers with next release of X-Plane in an arbitrary manner. Please take this into account when considering purchasing/using xVision.”
An installation guide is also available on the xVision website.
The developer has elected to use upgrade pricing for the jump to Vulkan Edition, with a EUR 10.00 fee for those who bought during the v1.XX run of xVision. New purchasers can buy xVision for EUR 18.90 – both upgrading and new customers must purchase a key via simMarket.
Threshold encourages informed discussion and debate - though this can only happen if all commenters remain civil when voicing their opinions.