AOA Simulations Vans RV-8 Updated to V1.1, F-35A 1.1 Soon
Military developer AOA Simulations recently branched out into civilian aircraft development with the release of their RV-8, which has just been updated to version 1.1. In addition to this, they've also shared new information regarding their F-35A and an incoming update for that aircraft.
The Vans RV-8 is kit-set aircraft sold by Vans Aircraft in the US. The aircraft is powered by a Lycoming IO-360, 4 cylinder piston engine that produces 200 HP. The unit price for an RV-8 can range from US $41,000–98,000.
Some features of the update are a completely redone canopy, more cockpit details and a damage model.
Here’s the full list:
3D model improvements
- Added custom "AOA RV-8" chrome fuel caps
- Attached rudder control horns to rudder and animated
- Added rudder control horns to 8A
- Added turtle deck canopy slide
- Added Tie down rings (when chocks and cones are showing: control +c)
- Added new, completely round roll bar/ canopy windscreen arch
- 10% larger cockpit panel switch VR click spots
- Entire G1000 PFD / MFD is now VR click-able
- Removed second elevator trim tab
- Remove right side canopy open/close handle, improved latch on left handle
- Removed upper right wing non-skid patch
- Added fire extinguisher behind pilot seat
- Removed critical altitude from engine parameters (reconfigures MFD engine display)
- Reduced roll rate
- Reduced pitch rate
- Added custom autopilot constants
- Increased maximum weight to 1600 lbs
- Increased fuselage drag index
- Move center of gravity (CG) fwd .43 (from 1.50 aft to 1.07) and down .40
- Increased min prop pitch to reduce RPM when the throttle pulled back
- Increased prop pitch change rate for faster engine response
- Simplified flap selection: was 10, 20, 30 deg now 20 deg (takeoff / approach) and 40 (landing). 5 second deployment time for each increment.
- Increased first 20 degree flap speed to 96 knots = 110 mph Van's Aircraft specification
- Decrease pitch bauble when flaps deploy
Cockpit / avionics displays
- New "touch zones" for G1000 MFD moving map control (see RV-8_8A User Guide)
- Added sectional maps in right side pocket (touch for pop-up default X-Plane map)
- Added TAS display to G1000 PFD. Jumbo font digital numbers next to KIAS display.
- Increased O2 quantity to 22 Cubic feet on PDF display. Display appears when system turned on or, when aircraft altitude is >= 10,000 ft MSL
- Raised pilot's eye level up from 1.80 to 1.90 above relocated CG
- Added ELT sound on hard landing (-1,000 fpm at touchdown) or if crash = 1
In a Facebook post not 5 minutes after the release of RV-8 version 1.1, the developers also informed their followers of an incoming update to their recently released F-35A aircraft. Here's what they had to say:
"F-35A 1.1 is coming soon. This version has improved yaw axis flight model, the new touch controls overlay over the G1000 MFD/moving map, a better cockpit and more sounds. Stay tuned for the release date."
On top of both of these projects, AOA Simulations are currently working on a new aircraft: the Boeing/Saab TX. You can find more info on it in a previous article.
The AOA Vans RV-8 is available to purchase from the X-Plane.org store in 3 different ways.
Thanks to user Doudoualexou for the tip over on the Threshold Discord server.