Laminar Research Releases X-Plane Mobile MMO
This new feature will allow users to fly in a single shared world with anyone online, regardless if they are friends. According to the developer, the MMO update “completely revamps how multiplayer works in X-Plane”.
The current version MMO includes:
- A single shared world: Fly with anyone in the world! It no longer matters if your friends are on iOS or Android, or if they live down the street or across the globe.
- Fly-In of the Day: We feature a different, popular airport each day and prompt everyone to go there to ensure you always have people to fly with! (And if you just want to “plane spot,” which our head MMO dev says “turns out to be surprisingly fun!”, you can always start up at a gate
and go to an external camera.)
This update (11.2.0) is available for download on the Apple and Google Play stores starting today. However, the developer has noted that the MMO update is only open to users with a “professional subscription” and that it is still in early access.
Furthermore, Laminar Research is asking for the community’s help to determine which features should be added to the MMO next.
Possible features include:
- Voice Chat
- Text-based, human ATC (requires volunteers to act as ATC)
- Private groups (fly with only those you invite)
- Plane-spotting mode (be an observer only)
The poll can be found here.