Orbx Formally Announces TrueEarth US Northern California HD & SD
You might recall that Orbx first announced TrueEarth US Northern California at Flight Sim Show 2019, three weeks ago. Today, the scenery giant has published the full-blown announcement of the respective scenery, complete with plenty of information, statistics and many screenshots.
"Our most ambitious project to date sees us take the next step in bringing more of the X-Plane world to life with our TrueEarth range of products," wrote Jarrad Marshall on the forum, where the announcement was posted. "TrueEarth US Northern California is the result of years of research and development as well as countless hours of crafting together one of the most stunning and diverse regions in North America."
The scenery contains more than 212,000 square kilometres of autogen and orthoimagery, the latter of which has been colour-corrected, edited and balanced to "ensure the highest fidelity and quality". Additionally, millions of trees have been accurately placed using the latest technology, and the vegetation hand-coloured to blend in with the ground textures.
Marshall continued: "The wide-range of landscapes, detailed mountains and stunning coastlines will redefine how you travel across the state in X-Plane 11.
"Northern California prides itself on its varied landscape, giving you plenty of choice for places to explore. Yosemite National Park, famous for its stunning valleys and flower-covered meadows, find life in X-Plane thanks to the TrueEarth technology. If the wilderness isn’t your thing, then take a trip up the Northern California coast and catch the west-coast sunshine as the light bounces off of your aircraft. The sights you will see will be truly breathtaking."
There are almost 1,000 Points Of Interest (POIs) included, such as Google and Apple's headquarters, the Sonoma County Vineyards, and Alcatraz Island.
"The beautiful cityscape of San Francisco has been fully modeled with the latest PBR techniques for a detailed rendition of the City by the Bay," stated Marshall. "Take the challenge of flying under the Golden Gate Bridge in San Francisco or fly right over Silicon Valley in San Jose. Whatever your preference, TrueEarth US NorCal for X-Plane 11 will have something for you."
TrueEarth US Northern California will have Standard Definition (SD) and High Definition (HD) flavours, at 53GB and 212GB in file size respectively. The difference between the two is the texture quality on the ground.
A full list of features, as well as a coverage map, can be viewed below.
- 212,000 km2 of hand-corrected/cleaned aerial imagery in 1m/px resolution (HD version) or 2m/px resolution (SD version)
- Millions of individual autogen trees/shrubs, grouped by type and hand-corrected for maximum realism across the entire region
- Explore and soar over the stunning San Francisco Cityscape crafted with full PBR effects
- Nearly 1,000 custom PBR POIs placed around the state; including San Francisco's Golden Gate Bridge, Silicon Valley and many, many more.
- All major cities accurately modeled, including SFO, Sacramento, San Jose, Oakland, Monterey, Fresno, Redding and many others.
- Millions of themed and efficient PBR autogen buildings placed to match the aerial imagery across the entire region
- Ultra detailed elevation mesh sourced from 10m DEM to bring out great detail in the coastline and mountains
- Beautiful hand-cleaned water-masking, which blends in beautifully
- Many marinas have hand-placed 3D boats added
- Blends in seamlessly with TrueEarth US Oregon and the upcoming TrueEarth US Southern California (in development) to provide even more US coverage
For even more screenshots, be sure to check out the announcement on Orbx's forum.