Military Visualizations Announces DHC-3T Turbo Otter for X-Plane
Military Visualizations (MilViz) has announced the DHC-3T Turbo Otter for X-Plane 11. The debut comes seven months after the release of their first aircraft for X-Plane, the Cessna T310R. The announcement also shows MilViz's continued commitment to X-Plane, despite their ATR XP having a failed Kickstarter campaign and receiving very vocal backlash from the community.
The announcement on MilViz's product page contains a lengthy feature list which includes:
- Pratt and Whitney 750 HP PT6A-34 turbine based on Viking or Vazar conversion, includes STOL kit
- Four separate configurations: Standard wheels, amphibious floats, skis, tundra tires; each model complete with tuned flight dynamics that accurately reflects differences in performance and handling
- Separate passenger and passenger/cargo combinations. Individual passenger and cargo locations can be loaded/unloaded in the simulator, allowing for the visual emulation of flying to a destination and back again
- intricately modeled, true-to-life interior and exterior, with an abundance of fine detail
- All gauges, switches and controls feature smooth animation
- Custom lighting makes night operations atmospheric and immersive, while high resolution textures with lifelike metal effects and realistic weathering create a simulation like no other
- The most accurate and realistic rendition of a PT6A-34 available anywhere today, all functions and characteristics emulate the real-world classic turbine down to a tee
- "If you have experienced one in real life you will recognize the distinctive start up, and the way power, sounds, temperature and internal pressures are all meticulously co-ordinated."
- Engine model = Pratt & Whitney PT6A-34
Engine Power = 750 SHP Flat Rated up to 4000 ft. ISA conditions
Propeller = 3 bladed, constant speed.
Propeller model = Hartzell HC-B3TN-3DY /T10282+4
- Electrical system is closely simulated, with operable circuit breakers present for key systems
- Operation of the flaps, operated much like the Beaver with a selector valve and a hand pump, behaves realistically
- Powered tailwheel system has been custom created for this aircraft with a three way toggle switch that allows switching between powered, free castoring and locked
- Dangerous effects of icing is also simulated, with serious consequences for disregarding potentially dangerous flight conditions
- Ice accumulation can be hazardous to the Otter, leading to airspeed loss and a stall; freezing rain can disrupt static instruments and cause incorrect readings
- Carefully tuned flight model that seeks to impart the unique flight qualities of this STOL-capable workhorse, created by an author with DHC-3 experience
- Scratch built 3D sound environment
- Accurate simulation of the powerful Pratt & Whitney PT6 engine for your listening pleasure
- Buttery smooth engine starts
- Highly authentic beta range sound effects
- Propeller wash sound effects
- Squealing brakes
- Stall buffeting
- Audible cockpit controls (switches, levers, etc.)
- 3D sound positioning
- Realistic distance attenuation
- Custom weather sound effects
Special Features (Unique to the DHC-3T XP):
- Professionally created & tuned, high fidelity flight model including accurate characteristics specific to the DHC-3T.
- Four Body Configurations - Standard Wheels, Floats, Amphibious Floats, Skis, each with individually tuned flight models.
- Multiple loadout configurations, with passengers and cargo. Selectable cargo includes an externally mounted canoe!
- Custom coded and meticulously modeled PT6-34
- Custom electrical system with display of electrical load and operable circuit breakers.
- Custom over-boosting cumulative damage simulation.
- Unique flap operation which simulates the usage of the manually operated hydraulic pump and selector on the DHC-3T.
- Realistic locked / powered / free-castoring tailwheel simulation
- Icing effects on airframe and static instruments fully simulated.
- Custom FMOD sound design
- Richly detailed cabin with beautiful high resolution textures and smoothly animated gauges.
- Realistic and fully adjustable cabin and instrument lighting.
- Authentic sound environment, inside and out.
- Ability to completely hide yoke and column for ease of access to important switches and controls.
- Professionally created liveries based on or inspired by real world aircraft.
- Available layer-based paintkit for creating your own liveries.
- Detailed & educational flight manual
- Yoke Lock
- Accurately modelled pump operated flaps
- Power Lever with Beta Gate
- Condition Lever with safety guard
- Accurately modelled Emergency Power Lever
- Tailwheel Lock Switch
- Fuel Transfer Switch
All operating systems which are supported by the X-Plane 11 platform. At the time of publication, this includes:
- OS X: OS X 10.10 or newer
- Windows: Windows 7, 8, or 10, 64-bit
(While any distribution which successfully runs X-Plane 11 should be capable of operating this aircraft, distribution specific issues with X-Plane 11 that may causes issues with this aircraft are not supported.)
- The current release version of X-Plane 11 is always fully supported.
Beta releases of X-Plane are unsupported; ongoing development of the X-Plane platform during the beta cycle may require our product to be updated for proper functionality.
- Intel Core i3, i5, or i7 CPU with 2 or more cores, or AMD equivalent. (Recommended: Intel Core i5 6600K at 3.5 ghz or faster.)
- 8 GB RAM (Recommended: 16-24 GB RAM or more.)
- DirectX 11-capable video card from NVIDIA, AMD or Intel with at least 1 GB VRAM. (Recommended: DirectX 12-capable video card from NVIDIA, AMD or Intel with at least 4 GB VRAM, GeForce GTX 1070 or better or similar from AMD.)
- 1.5 GB or greater free hard drive space.
Military Visualization's DHC-3T Turbo Otter will be available for $39.99 USD ($52.88 CAD, €35.24 EUR). To view MilViz's original announcement, click here. To view previous articles about MilViz's activity in X-Plane click here.