No Money Mondays: Oslo Gardermoen Airport by hergi
October 23, 2023
Another week, another edition of No Money Mondays! Each week, we take flight simulation to the next level by exploring outstanding freeware add-ons that elevate our virtual flying experiences without breaking the bank. This week, we embark on a thrilling virtual journey to the capital of Norway as we delve into the extraordinary Oslo Gardermoen Airport (ENGM) by hergi. Earning a 4.85 star rating on flightsim.to, and with over 70,000 downloads, this scenery is a must have for your library!
Like many major airports in the region, Oslo’s Gardermoen Airport started out as a military base, with the first flight at the airport happening in 1912. During the occupation of Norway in World War II, the German Luftwaffe took over the airport and expanded many of the airport’s facilities, adding hangars and two runways, both 6,600 feet (2,000m) in length. Many different airlines have operated out of Gardermoen over its history, with some of the first being SAS, Color Air, and Braathens SAFE. Gardermoen served as Oslo’s secondary airport for many years, until the main airport, Fornebu, was too small and old. Today, Gardermoen serves as Oslo’s gateway to the world, being the primary international hub for the country as well as for domestic air travel. It serves as the main base for Norwegian Air Shuttle, and is a hub for SAS, and Widerøe. It serves over 175 destinations around the globe.
The Microsoft Flight Simulator rendition of the airport includes a variety of features, including:
- Current layout of the airport
- Custom models of the whole main terminal, ATC tower, ENGM specific custom objects like lamp posts, and wig wag lights
- Blue and orange taxiway lights at blue and orange lines
- Custom buildings at cargo apron
- Norwegian and SAS technical hangars, white ground radars, east side buildings/hangars.
- Custom buildings for GA area and hangars around deicing areas.
- Detailed interior modeling of the terminal
- Custom night lighting
- Extensive amount of ground markings
- Custom runway markings
- Custom fully working jetways
- Custom interior with 3D people, shops, and modeled departure hall
You can get this amazing scenery at flightsim.to.
Be sure to stay tuned to Threshold next week to see where the freeware fun heads to next!
Share this page
Threshold encourages informed discussion and debate - though this can only happen if all commenters remain civil when voicing their opinions.